Friday, May 29, 2009

The Princess and the Frog...



















...Is set in Louisiana during the Jazz Age. So that should be an exciting backdrop.

Disney First Black Princess is a Mahogany Berry. I am so excited that two of our firsts Miss Tiana and Mrs. Obama are dark skin women. I hope this will give brown skin girls more confidence in themselves and show the world that they too are beautiful.


Tiana comes a little late. Seeing that Jasmine was created in 1992, Pocahontas in 1995, and Mulan in 1998. But I think that Disney has put a lot of effort into getting this right. And if they had of attempted this in the 90's they would have gotten it all wrong.


There has been some controversy because the Prince is not Black. Of course, the outrage has been among Black males. The fact that the Prince is not Black does not bother me. It also doesn't faze me that others might be upset.


When people write Michael Jordan, Seal, Quincy Jones, and Sidney Poitier about their relationships then maybe I will be concerned. Until then...


No comments:

Post a Comment